Monday, November 15, 2010

Welcome To The Chuck Turner Daylight Network Letter from Chuck

 

Welcome To The Chuck Turner Daylight Network:

The Antidote For The Apathetic

 

 

 

November 15, 2010

 

Dear Supporters,

 

I thought it would be helpful to bring you up to date on what has been happening since my conviction. On Tuesday, I gave the keys to our district office to Nuestra. While Terri and I regret having to close the office, we feel a great financial relief given the fact that we will not have to continue to take money out of my salary (as long as it lasts) to finance the office. The campaign now owes us over $170,000.  We will keep you informed of our "Retire the debt activities".

 

I have been receiving a lot of comments from friends saying that I should not have testified.  I understand and appreciate the belief that if I had not taken the stand, I may have received a not guilty verdict.  That very well may be true. However, as I said before I took the stand and after "I had no choice". 

 

Let me try to be clearer in terms of what I mean when I say "I had no choice". As you know, I did not run for office until 1999, approximately 33 years after beginning my activism in Boston.  When I ran for office at age 59, I had no illusion of beginning a long and illustrious political career.  Initially, I figured ten years in office would be my limit.  I extended the timeline by four years when I ran in 2009.

 

My decision to run in 1999 was driven by three short term operational objectives: 1) To energize organizing in Boston's communities of color; 2) To test an organizing model of representation; and 3) To demonstrate the ability of an elected official to be accountable and transparent.

 

Given these objectives, particularly number 3, I had no choice except to testify. When Sunshine asked me on the Morning Show on Touch 106.1 F.M on the Monday after my conviction, if I would testify again if I was able to get a new trial, I said yes. 

 

To me, I would be a hypocrite if I didn't testify. How could I look myself in the mirror if as a public official accused of taking money, I told the public that I didn't testify because the law gave me an out. That would make me a weasel mouth politicians like the ones I deplore. That's not accountability in my eyes, that's the political expediency that is destroying this country.

 

"But Chuck", some have said "Your testimony was lousy". (They actually used harsher words). My response has been that I admit it was lousy but it was the best I could do. In other words, I didn't testify because I thought that I was going to be able to convince the jury, I testified because of my belief that as a public official I had to be accountable. Being accountable to me meant that I had to testify even if it meant that I would be found guilty. 

 

I would urge that as you think about my choice to testify remember Dr. King's words, "If you don't have any thing in your life worth dying for, then you don't have anything worth living for". In other words, we are here on this earth to raise our consciousness through principled living.  So to me "winning" by ignoring your principles is suicide. That is, you might as well be dead if you are not going to live your life based on a set of moral values. I rather go to jail than live in denial of my values.

 

There are other issues to discuss like why I am not resigning. However, rather than overload this email, I will try to send a communiqué each week.

 

chuck

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------

--  THE END --

OR, IS IT JUST THE BEGINNING?  YOU DECIDE!

( Stay tuned, as the struggle continues. )  

_______________________________________________________________

Occasionally we receive information from people regarding organizations

and businesses.  While we share this information with you, it should not

be seen as an endorsement of their services.

_________________________________________________________________

Chuck Turner, District 7 Boston City Councilor

City Hall Office--(617) 635-3510  

 Chuck.Turner@cityofboston.gov             Angela.Yarde@cityofboston.gov                  Darrin.Howell@cityofboston.gov 

Paulette.Tillery@cityofboston.gov      Lorraine.Fowlkes@cityofboston.gov          Edith.Monroe@cityofboston.gov

 ROXBURY:                   WARD 8, Pcts 3-4, 7;           WARD 9, Pcts 3-5;          WARD 11, Pcts 1-3, 5;     WARD  12, Pcts 1-9

DORCHESTER:            Ward 7, Pct 10;                    Ward 8, Pcts 5-6;             Ward 13, Pcts 1-2, 4-5

SOUTH END:                Ward 4, Pct 4;                      Ward 9, Pct 2

FENWAY:                     Ward 4, Pcts 5, 8-9 

 

 

 

 
Lorraine Fowlkes
 Chief of Staff
 Office of Boston City Councillor Chuck Turner
 One City Hall Square
 Boston, MA  02201
 617 635 3510
 617 635 2343
 


The substance of this message, including any attachments, may be confidential, legally privileged and/or exempt from disclosure pursuant to Massachusetts law. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment